Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Isabella's Arrival

So here's the long story.  On Thursday after dismissing my students for the first dismissal while walking back into the building I slipped and fell on the wet floor (it had been raining in NY for days).  I didn't land on my stomach, on my knee and my face.  My principal had a coworker drive me to my dr immediately.  When I got there they did an u/s and saw that the baby was doing well, but just to be on the safe side she hooked me up to a fetal monitor for a half an hour.  I'm glad my friend was able to stay with me, but I wasn't really nervous at this point.  I figured my doc was just being thorough.  I started feeling some contractions, but they were irregular, or so I thought.  Turns out they were coming about every 4 minutes.  My dr said that it was probably nothing and they would go away, but just to be on the safe side she wanted me to go to the hospital to be monitored for a few more hours.  I called Andy and told him to meet me at L&D and to bring the bag just in case.  At this point I still didn't think that I would have the baby yet b/c the contractions were getting farther apart and they weren't painful at all. 

At the hospital they hooked me up to a monitor again and my friend waited with me for an hour until Andy got there.  At this point the contractions started to become a little more painful, but nothing crazy.  The Dr. came in to give me an internal and it turns out I was close to 4cm dilated.  He was surprised that it wasn't causing me more pain.  I was sent to walk for 2 hours.

Walking for 2 hours in the rain was not so exciting, but it gave me time to call my parents, sister, and cousins to tell them that I was in labor.  I told them not to come until I was admitted just in case they sent me home, I was apparently still in denial.  

At around 10pm I went back to the hospital where they did another internal to find that I was 5 cm.  I was dilating pretty quickly and the pain was getting a little more intense.  They admitted me and I was put in a very nice LDR room.  Andy made the appropriate phone calls while I was given my epi.  This was not painful at all, more just uncomfortable trying to get into the correct position to get one.  

I labored for a few hours and tried to get some sleep, when the epi started to wear off.  I asked the nurse if I could have some more as at this point the contractions were getting very painful.  They were all in my back.  The Dr. came in to examine me first and I was already 10 cm dilated.  The Dr advised me against getting more epi b/c it would make it harder for me to push.  I said I would hold out as long as I could.  I labored, with waning epi, for 45 more minutes when I finally begged for more epi, but at that point it was too late and it was time to push.

Pushing was very difficult.  I could barely catch my breath and it felt like all the blood vessels in my face would burst.  It wasn't painful, just tons of pressure.  Andy was amazing.  Holding my head and giving me ice chips and encouraging me.  I couldn't imagine doing it without him.  After about an hour of pushing, Isabella Grace was born at 4 am on June 19th, weighing in at 7lbs 5 ounces and 21 inches long.  

She was born with the cord wrapped around her neck and she had swallowed a lot of fluid so the NICU nurses had to come down to drain the fluid.  It was 45 of the most terrifying minutes of my life watching them suction her, but finally we heard her wail and she was given to me and I nursed her right away.  

We left the hospital Saturday evening.  It's been incredibly hectic and wonderful. There have been so many well wishes and visitors.  It's been difficult at times, her wanting to feed nearly every hour (this has stopped since my milk has come in) and having her days and nights confused, but I've never been happier.  I can't believe how much you can love someone.  It's overwhelming.  I will try to get on the bump to post the birth story asap, but I only have short breaks when she's asleep to shower, eat, etc, plus there's been a lot of people coming by to see her.  My mom actually stayed a few days with us to help out, which has been a godsend.

Now if you managed to make it to the end of this loooooooooong post, go and pour yourself a drink b/c you deserve it!


mtendere said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy that everything went so well and that Isabella arrived safely.

Mrs.Andreazza said...

Congratulations!! So glad everything went well. Such a beautiful family you have there, it made me tear up a bit reading. I love a good baby story!!

Mrs.Pink said...

Congrats E!!!! She is precious!

Tara n Mike said...

Congrats on Isabella's safe arrival! She is beautiful.

TennisWife815 said...

Congrats!! What a cutie.

Post a Comment

Have at it...and I will respond to all comments here so check back often to stay in the conversation.